With the multifold increase in the volume of data flow, every passing year in the last decade challenged the external storage device manufacturers to beat them last year’s price. While the average cost of a 1 TB storage drive in 2010 was around 150 bucks, it has come down to an average of 50 USD in 2020. And price decline continues despite an almost 50% reduction in the demand for storage devices over the past decade (Courtesy: Forbes and Coughlin Associates).
One of the major reasons for this price reduction is the trustworthiness of offline storage among the masses to backup and safeguard their data. So, to cater to the needs of the masses, we will discuss the best external hard drives and SSD for Mac that you can buy in 2022. Here is a list of our top picks that will help you bolster your Mac’s storage space and your productivity.
1. Western Digital 5TB My Passport for Mac
The prime factors that make the WD 5 TB My Passport HDD suitable to get your hands on are our reliability, affordability, and portability. With voluminous storage of 5 Terabytes and a three-year warranty, this HDD is designed for Mac and is fully compatible with Time Machine use. In addition, the drive supports USB 3.0 connections and USB 2.0 connections, thus making it suitable for the latest M1 Macs and the older Intel Macs.
- SuperSpeed USB port for fast data transfer.
- Equipped with WD Discovery Software for backup, password protection, and drive management.
- No formatting or setup is required for use on Time Machine.
- Password protection with 256-bit AES hardware encryption.
- USB-C and USB-A compatibility grants support for the latest and older Macs.
- Maximum storage option limited to 5 TB, no further upgrade available.
- The 5 TB version has a higher cost per GB than the 4 TB version.
2. Seagate Backup Plus 5TB External Portable HDD
The Seagate Backup Plus for Mac comes with variants ranging from 1TB to 5TB, and like WD My Passport, it is ready formatted for Mac and Time Machine compatibility. Moreover, the package includes a two-year warranty which is a year lesser than its WD counterpart.
- Free subscription of one month to Mylio create and two months to Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0.
- Suitable for Intel and M1 Macs.
- Equipped with Seagate Dashboard Backup software.
- Lower cost than WD My Passport for same storage capacity.
- Only two years warranty provided.
- Reliability issues.
- Customer service issues.
3. G-Technology 4TB Portable Hard Drive
Designed with an all-aluminum enclosure, this compact hard drive perfectly complements your Mac’s design. This HDD is one of the fastest high-capacity external hard drives and can bear minor drops and shocks. The aluminum case further helps to keep the drive cool while in use. However, the 1TB lesser storage might be a cause of concern if you need a higher storage capacity.
- Capable to work along with USB 3.0, USB 2.0, eSATA and FireWire connections.
- Fastest portable HDD in its class with 5400 RPM hard disk rotational speed.
- Compatible with Intel and M1 Mac.
- Plug and play USB connectivity.
- Package includes USB-A to USB Micro-B Cable.
- It can be noisy.
- Per TB cost higher.
- It needs setup for Time Machine backup.
4. Sabrent 2TB Rocket Nano External Aluminum SSD
Despite the lower storage of 2TB, this is one of the most efficient and highly compact external storage device. Moreover, this tiny storage drive is an SSD with its own benefits of being compact and silent. Its size is its USP as it qualifies for a USB in terms of size and yet fulfills the need of a voluminous external storage device.
- Compact, sturdy, and reliable.
- Complies with trim, UASP, and its firmware is upgradable.
- Capable of ultrafast 10 GBps input and output while maintaining the power efficiency.
- Requires no drivers as it is OS independent and fully Bus-powered functioning.
- Suited for multiple uses like data transfer, high-speed storage, data backup, etc.
- Much less storage capacity.
- High cost.
5. Samsung X5 Portable SSD – 1TB
The Samsung X5 utilizes the full capacity of a USB 3.0 port and transfers data at a super-fast speed of up to 40 GB per second. In addition, even with such high-speed data transfer, it is completely silent in its operation. Designed with a full metal body, it can easily cope with minor knocks and drops.
- First-ever, NVMe-based portable SSD from Samsung is equipped with Thunderbolt 3 technology.
- Extremely compact yet sturdy design.
- Option of password protection and AES 256-bit hardware encryption.
- Compatible with laptops, desktops, and Televisions.
- Armed with Thermal Guard technology to give an optimum performance while maintaining the working temperature.
- Very costly.
- Lower storage space.
Note: If you are cautious about your data and don’t want to lose it from your Mac or external drive, you must keep data recovery software for Mac i.e. Stellar Data Recovery Professional for Mac handy and ready-to-use. It not only recovers lost data in any situation but also keeps you informed of your Mac’s and external drive’s health.